The I-15 South Design-Build*project stretches from Tropicana Avenue to just south of Silverado Ranch Boulevard. The project includes widening the freeway, the addition of collector-distributor roads,* five redesigned interchanges, 26 new bridge sections, 35 retaining walls, and sound walls.
- Addition of Collector-Distributor roads* that will take merging traffic off of the mainline allowing smoother through-traffic
- New bridges for Sunset Road and Warm Springs Road allowing traffic off to flow over I-15
- Wider ramp lanes that will improve traffic capacity at the following interchanges:
- Tropicana Avenue
- Russell Road
- Blue Diamond Road (new flyover) See Rendering
- Silverado Ranch Boulevard (ramp widened to two lanes exiting, auxiliary lane added to reduce backup on the freeway)
- 1.5 miles of sound barriers
- Landscaping and aesthetic treatments on bridges, retaining walls and sound walls
- Intelligent Transportation System – Technology to smooth your ride through the corridor
*Collector-Distributor (C/D) roads
Ramps that would normally integrate with freeway traffic are instead shifted outwards to the C/D road. The weaving associated with entering and exiting the freeway is no longer on the main lines. This allows for smoother traffic flow on the freeway.
Design-Build is a construction project delivery method in which the design and the construction aspects are completed by a single contractor. This system minimizes the project risk and reduces the completion schedule by overlapping the design and construction phases of a project.